It's a long way from finished. Many of the miles are simply country road walks connecting the patchwork of local, state, and national public lands.
But once I heard about it, I found an excuse to buy some nice gear and get outside. Of course I joined the local chapter of the corresponding non-profit association and bought some maps for weekend adventuring. It's always easy to dream about doing this stuff... but it's harder to actually do it. I figure sinking some money into it and talking about it helps me get outside.
Here are some pictures from my first hike, just 5 hours of quick walking on about 12 miles split between road and wood. Cutting through the Middleville State Game area. It sure helps (in terms of speed, and soreness, and generally enjoy-ability) not to be carrying a sleeping bag, tent, food, and such!
Oh - I did see a pheasant. And a piliated woodpecker (the really big kind).
![]() |
| someone afoot |
![]() |
| keep to the blue blazes |
![]() |
| deer bedding sites (?) |
![]() |
| I was not the first on the trail that day. |





Great post--hope you enjoyed the hike--and thanks for supporting the NCTA!
ReplyDelete