21 May 2012

finally


I hadn't planted and harvested a garden, throughout the entire season, since 2008. Sadly, I won't be around to harvest much of this one either. Although, we did plant in the same garden in Marion for four straight years.

Digging in yesterday felt like... coming back to one's religion after a time of spiritual wandering.

In my adult life, I have dug asparagus beds into the property of every house I've owned - and some I rented - even tiny urban lots and student ghettos... I suppose in those unsettled years, I was aspiring for a stability I couldn't yet purchase.

-Barbara Kingsolver, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

2 comments:

  1. I like it! a circle garden, its so zen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I was only responsible for bringing back to life a 35%ish chunk that you see before me. Becky had it put in as a prayer garden in high school. I did hand-chop it though... lots of exercise! The robins were very happy I did so.

    ReplyDelete